Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Trader Joe's Finds of the Week

So the whole "Open Source Wednesday" thing obviously did not become a serial event. So let me close the book on that by saying, "Open source is good. Use it!"

Now that that is behind us, I would like to turn my attention to something I enjoy just as much as software: food. For those who don't know, Zeph and I do all of our grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. Why? The food is cheap, it's healthy (well, most of it), and it tastes good. It's also good for my relationship because Zeph and I don't have to argue over whether to get organic or non-organic (I prefer the former, he the latter) since TJs usually only has organic options. I'm sure Zeph could write a whole blog on why he doesn't support organic, so it's something I won't get into at the moment.

Another thing I like about TJs is that the products change every week. Right now they have really good canned pumpkin (organic, of course), pumpkin bread mix, and other fun foods to help commemorate the start of fall (I know fall started for the rest of the country a month ago, but SF just finished our 'Indian Summer').

Every Monday I go into work and tell my co-worker Anne the great things I picked up over the weekend, and she tells me the latest thing she tried. So, as my blog slowly takes over my life, I in turn thought to myself, "I should blog about that!" This is my long-winded introduction to the fact that I now hope to share my latest TJs treasures with the blogosphere.

This week's gems:
Brussel Sprouts
I know that brussel sprouts have a rep as one of the worst vegetables on Earth, but believe me, they're good! The best way to eat them is to toss them in some olive oil, add salt and pepper, and roast them in the oven for a half hour or so. Come to think of it, almost anything is good tossed in olive oil and roasted in the oven.

-and-

Trader Joe's 2006 Vintage Ale
I don't know how something made in 2006 can be called vintage, but this beer is so good I'm not going to argue the semantics. It's a dark beer, and it comes in a pint-sized bottle. I don't usually like dark beers, but this one is amazing! Watch out for the kick - it's 9% alc/vol.

That's it for this week! If you want more info on TJs products, check out the Trader Joe's Fansite.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home