Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Recipe: Portobello and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

After the carnage of Monday night's dinner, it was time to tone it down a bit with an easy vegetarian meal. Here are the steps to making wonderful portobello mushroom and goat cheese sandwiches.

Grill some portobello mushrooms until grill marks appear. Don't wait for them to be super black, because you need them to stay on the grill a little longer after the initial grilling period.

Portobello and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

Yes, that is a George Foreman grill. It is one of the best pieces of kitchen equipment I own. One day I hope to own the model with adjustable feet so that it can be a slanted grill or a flat grill. There's not much fat to be drained off in the mushrooms, so all that happens is some water loss.

After the mushrooms are mostly grilled, place some goat cheese on top and let the cheese melt. I prefer putting the cheese on the side with the gills because it sits in the natural concave shell of the mushroom.

Portobello and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

While the cheese is melting, get out whatever kind of bread you want the sandwich to be on. Sometimes I use whole-wheat buns, but I happened to have some focaccia in the house, so I used that. If using a flat bread, cut the bread in half length-wise.

Portobello and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

After you have sliced the bread, spread on whatever condiments you wish. I spread half of my bread with pesto and the other half with a little bit of mayonnaise.

Portobello and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

Once the cheese is melted, assemble the sandwich, and eat! Extra produce can be added, if it is desired. I added some slices of tomato to my sandwich for extra moistness. Mmmmmmmmmmm

Portobello and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 11, 2008 7:22 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hi there. I thought I would let the readers know that the previous comment was deleted because it appeared to be spam, not because I was sensoring anybody.

January 11, 2008 8:29 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

That, of course, should have been censoring, not sensoring.

January 11, 2008 8:34 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Well, nobody would be surprised if you censored us. You're a Communist. Right? Trader Joe's? Thought so!

Looks delicious!

January 15, 2008 1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home