Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Recipe: Breakfast Burrito

Although I try and plan a week's worth of meals ahead of time, things don't always work out that way. Last week was one of those times, and I had nothing to make for dinner on Thursday. Rather than order out, I scrounged around and found the ingredients to throw together a pretty good breakfast burrito. Here's what ya do:

It's always a good idea to get all the ingredients out first. For my burrito, I decided to use eggs, hash browns, cheese, sour cream, and salsa, all wrapped in a flour tortilla. If you want to add meat, it's a good idea to cook it before you add it to the egg mixture.

Breakfast Burrito Ingredients

The first step is to brown the hash browns. You could do this in a pan, but I found it really easy to brown them in the toaster oven. These are frozen hash brown patties that Zeph picked out at TJ's one day, so they were just hanging around in the freezer.

Heating the Hash Browns

While the hash browns are crisping, you can prepare your eggs. I used 6 eggs to make 3 burritos, which comes out to 2 eggs per burrito. This was a good amount, and made burritos that were easily wrapped. To make the eggs fluffier, add a little water or milk. I just found out last night that Jacques Pepin recommends adding sour cream, so I might try that in the future.

Scrambled Eggs

Cook the eggs until slightly runny. You want to turn off the pan before the eggs are completely cooked, and then let them finish cooking using the residual heat in the pan. If you wait until the eggs looked perfectly cooked to turn them off, then they will end up overcooked. This is bad. Once the eggs are cooked, add the hash browns (I mashed mine with a spoon as I mixed them in) and some grated cheese. There should be enough heat left in the eggs and hash browns to thoroughly melt the cheese.

Burrito Mixture

To assemble the burrito, spoon some of the egg mixture onto a tortilla and add whatever toppings you desire. I used sour cream and salsa, and I would have added some avocado if I had had any.

Finished Burrito

Fold, and eat! I love cooking on nights like this because half of the fun is poking around in the cupboard and finding out what the hell will go good together. Don't be afraid to try new combinations!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

Congrats on the new domain name! I see Google is still doing all the heavy lifting. I didn't know they could take control of a domain for you, too. That's cool.

January 16, 2008 4:24 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Yes, Google is still taking care of all the behind-the-scenes work. And I am still working on getting my home page set up. It feels funny having something at blog.sarainsanfran but not www.sarainsanfran. I'm baby stepping toward a full-blown website, though.

January 16, 2008 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home